The Growing "Strategic Partnership" between Indonesia and China Faces Difficult Challenges
About the publication
Jakarta–Beijing relations have experienced significant progress, especially since the Yudhoyono presidency.
Economic links between the two countries have expanded rapidly and tourism and cultural exchanges have also shown improvements.
Issues that may affect Indonesia–China relations negatively in the future include:
• mainland Chinese workers in joint projects;
• the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of the Natuna Islands;
• the rise of pribumi-ism in Indonesia;
• domestic anti-Chinese sentiments; and
• changes in China's policy on Chinese overseas.